RENs as Broadband Equity, Access and Deployment Partners
Non-Profit Community Anchor Networks, also known as Research and Education Networks, have valuable roles to play as neutral, trusted advisors to the work of state broadband offices across the country. Because of their public-service missions and decades of experience in designing, engineering, operating and consulting on network infrastructure and technologies, the people who operate these community anchor networks are invaluable advisors and resources to state broadband offices (SBOs) and help support state goals of broadband equity, access, and deployment as well as digital inclusion.
Below are a few areas of expertise that the Research and Education Networks offer to states broadband planners:
- Publicly missioned, trusted broadband technology experts and advisors with extensive knowledge in existing state and broadband network infrastructure availability and gaps.
- Experts in fiber-optics including construction and engineering with a successful historical performance and current participation in national broadband infrastructure programs.
- Sustainable operators of robust, resilient, secure and cost-effective middle-mile infrastructure that should be considered when evaluating the potential for new local and state broadband infrastructure partnerships and investments.
- Trusted and recognized solution providers and collaborators for the unique network connectivity, cloud, and security requirements of community anchor institutions.
- Source of data for unserved and underserved n for Community Anchor Institutions such as higher education, K-12 schools, and public libraries.
- Human networks that include ties to higher education and academic researchers with specific expertise and data in relevant areas such as population demographics, longitudinal social studies, GIS, and other areas.
- Extensive local and state relationships with broadband industry, community anchors, higher education, and community advocates.
- Proficient in conducting large-scale competitive procurements for broadband and telecommunications equipment and services.
- Skillful in network performance measurement and evaluation.
Read About Quilt Members and Their Work for Broadband Equity and Access Deployment – Article Links
|CA||CENIC and GoldenStateNet|
|UT||Utah Education and Telehealth Network|