Q: Why participate in The Quilt?
A: Quilt participants are our country’s leaders in advanced networking in support of research and education. The Quilt provides a national forum for these leaders to collaborate on items of importance to serving our members’ missions. The Quilt advocates on behalf of our members’ interests with national and multi-regional organizations, such as federal government funding sources and optical network equipment providers. Our members leverage the collective consortia and buying power of The Quilt which contributes to the value each member provides to their participants. For instance, since 2002 The Quilt participants have saved over $254 million on Commodity Internet Services by using Quilt-negotiated rates.
Q: Who can become a participant?
A: Members of The Quilt shall be any non-profit institution;
- that is based in the United States and which provides significant regional aggregation of research and education community traffic and advanced network services beyond what is normally available on the commodity Internet;
- whose mission and goals are aligned with those of the Corporation, and
- which is approved by the Corporation’s Board of Directors.
Q: What is the process to follow to request becoming a member or affiliate participant? A: New membership applications will be considered for affiliate membership. At the discretion of The Quilt Board of Directors, affiliates which meet the criteria for membership will be invited to apply for such status. Send requests to info@theQuilt.net asking to be considered as an affiliate participant. Please include the following information in the email:
- Name of organization
- Point of contact
- Number of connections, who they are and speed which they connect
- URL for www site
- Summary of networking activities, especially high-performance networking and research and education activities associated with your organization
- Statement of purpose for requesting to participate in The Quilt
There is no formal application document. However, a suggested membership application template can be found here.
Q: What is the process once the request is submitted?
A: Once the information is submitted, reviewed by the President and the Quilt Executive Committee, a determination is made that the organization meets the affiliate participation requirements. Then, the application is reviewed by The Quilt Board of Directors at its next quarterly meeting.
Q: Are groups other than non-profit regional aggregators considered for participation?
A: Other organizations, which demonstrate leadership in high-performance networking and demonstrate on-ongoing interest in the goals and activities of The Quilt, are invited by The Quilt to become affiliate participants. Affiliate participants, as non-voting members, enjoy the same benefits and privileges as other Quilt member participants with the exception of designating a representative to The Quilt Board of Directors and the ability to purchase from Quilt negotiated contracts for goods and services as an Authorized Quilt Buyer (AQB).
Q: What does it cost to become a Quilt Participant?
A: The annual fee associated with being a Quilt member is $18,500
The annual fee associated with being a Quilt affiliate is $2,900
Q: What are the responsibilities of Quilt Members?
A: Quilt participants are required to do the following:
- Designate one person to be the Board representative for your organization who will participate in monthly group conference calls and participate in Board activities as requested;
- Designate one person as the technical representative to the Quilt;
- Fill out documentation survey form before becoming an active Participant;
- Contribute to one or more of the organization’s committees and projects associated with the Quilt; and,
- Participate in Quilt member surveys;
- Attend face-to-face meetings up to three times a year.