SEATTLE, Wash. (Feb. 5, 2015) – The Quilt, a national coalition of advanced U.S. regional networks for research and education (R&E) today announced its 2015 Quilt Executive Committee and named Mike Phillips, President and CEO of the Lonestar Education and Research Network (LEARN) as Chairman.
“The Quilt continues to be a vibrant forum where R&E networking leaders gather to collectively advance networking for the purpose of research and education. I look forward to serving as Chair this year as we seek to build on the momentum created by our community members, our outstanding staff and The Quilt Board of Directors,” said Phillips.
The nine-member Executive Committee provides ongoing oversight of The Quilt affairs as delegated by the full Board.
The following have been named to this year’s committee:
- Mike Phillips, President and CEO, Lonestar Education and Research Network (Chairman)
- Jeff Custard, Network Engineering Manager, Front Range GigaPoP, FRGP (Vice Chairman and Secretary)
- Amy Philipson, Executive Director, Pacific Northwest GigaPoP (Treasurer)
- Lonnie Leger, Executive Director, Louisiana Optical Networking Initiative, LONI
- Jeff Letourneau, Executive Director, Networkmaine
- Dave Reese, Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, CENIC
- Paul Schopis, Chief Technology Officer, OARnet
- Scott Taylor, Director, Connecticut Education Network, CEN
- Don Welch, President and CEO, Merit Network
The Quilt facilitates collaboration among regional networks across the country by furthering collaboration among the organizations, leveraging expertise and advocating on their behalf. Representatives from participating organizations comprise The Quilt Board of Directors. The officers of The Quilt Executive Committee are elected from the Board of Directors after receiving nomination from their peers.
“Our new Board Members and Executive Committee reflect The Quilt’s broadened membership, which includes executive leadership from our country’s research and education networks,” said The Quilt President and CEO Jen Leasure. “The impressive accomplishments and expertise of our Board Members will serve our membership well as we continue working to further strengthen our organization.”
These individuals will join the other networking leaders from around the country’s this month at The Quilt 2015 Winter Member Meeting scheduled Feb. 10-12 at the La Jolla Shores Hotel in California.
About The Quilt
The Quilt is the national coalition of advanced regional networks for research and education, representing 36 networks across the country. Participants in The Quilt provide advanced network services and applications to more than 250 universities and thousands of other educational institutions throughout the United States. Visit www.thequilt.net.